Friday, November 12, 2010

Flossing can prevent your health.

I often get asked questions such as is flossing necessary and what teeth should I floss. How often should I floss? My response is the cliché used by dentists the world over. You should only floss the teeth you want to keep! You see next to brushing, flossing is the most important thing that you can do to ensure good oral health. 
Many people don’t realize the importance of flossing. Flossing in between your teeth is essential for avoiding periodontal disease as well as preventing tooth decay. Periodontal disease is one of the main causes of tooth loss in adults and can be easily prevented by flossing. Studies have even shown that flossing can also help prevent heart attacks and strokes.
Some Flossing facts
  • Brushing sans flossing is comparable to cleaning only 60% of your body leaving the 40% dirty which simply means you are not completely clean.
  • Recent studies have indicated flossing reduces the risk of heart attack. Hard to believe?

  • Flossing removes the tiny trapped food particles and also the plaque trapped between the teeth which a tooth brush cannot reach.
  No matter which type of floss you choose, as long you floss regularly, it will remove debris from your teeth and gums.  If you’ve never tried flossing before, you will probably be amazed at just how much debris and food particles it can remove.  Flossing is recommended by dentistseverywhere, as it can reach places that even the smallest of toothbrushes can’t.  Food and debris will build up between your teeth, which makes dental flossing very important.

The main problem many people have against flossing is the fact that it can result in bleeding of the gums.  Anytime you floss and get between your teeth and around your gums, the floss will rub against your gums, resulting in bleeding.  Many people take this the wrong way, and immediately stop flossing, usually for good.  Bleeding is very common, and should be expected with flossing.

If you’ve been afraid to try flossing due to the bleeding, you should really get over that fear and floss after you brush.  To keep your teeth and gums healthy, you’ll to brush and floss your teeth.  Regular checkups with your dentist will help as well, although it is up to you to continue your regular maintenance at home with flossing and brushing.  If you floss on a daily basis - you’ll quickly realize just how clean your teeth and gums will be.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post!! I really liked this info on flossing. Going to visit Torrance dentist for my dental issues. He gives best facility on affordable price. Recently took my mom for dental implant. She was given best service there.