Pregnancy is a very exciting and busy time. There are so many changes going on in your body and your mouth is no exception. Good oral hygiene is extremely important during pregnancy because the increase of hormone levels during pregnancy can cause dental problems to be intensified.
One of the most common dental problems associated with pregnancy is a condition known as pregnancy gingivitis, which usually occurs during the first trimester. Symptoms of pregnancy gingivitis are usually bleeding, swollen, red and tender gums.
Good oral health during pregnancy could also be important to your fetus. Some researchers have suggested that the serious stage of gum disease, periodontitis, could cause premature birth and low birth weight.
The tips listed here can help you maintain good oral health throughout your pregnancy.
· Visit your dentist for regular check ups and cleanings. This is the best way to make sure that you are maintaining good oral hygiene.
· Brush your teeth properly at least twice a day to remove plaque.
· Floss your teeth daily. Flossing will remove food debris from in between the teeth that a toothbrush can't reach.
· Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse. Antimicrobial mouth rinses can help prevent gingivitis.
· Brush or scrape your tongue daily to help remove bacteria.
· Eat nutritious meals and healthy snacks.
Now that you know what to do to protect your oral health, sit back, relax and enjoy this beautiful time in your life.
POSTED BY : DENTIST MELBOURNE